The Firewall Assessment covers a comprehensive review of all aspects of a firewall configuration, not just the Firewall rules.
A firewall is a keystone part of the network defence; it is critical to ensure that they are securely configured and that the rule-base is free of infinite loops or duplicate/unused entries.
The Firewall Assessment, (depending on the device functionality), will include an examination of:
- Firewall rules
- Firewall build
The elements of the rules review include:
- Insecure rules with any to any instances
- Overly permissive rules that enable too great a degree of access between hosts via various protocols
- Insecure configuration of VPN’s, radius or other key services
- Insecure device configurations
- Insecure admin access configurations
- Inadequate or no logging
- Insecure encryption methods
- Duplicate or unused rules